Deciding to undergo spinal surgery is a significant decision that can significantly improve your quality of life. Proper preparation is essential for a successful procedure, to ensure a smooth recovery. As you prepare for spine surgery, we will provide you with a comprehensive preoperative checklist and valuable tips.
Take time to prepare yourself and your home for surgery and recovery. Adjusting your diet by increasing protein and high-antioxidant fruits and vegetables can aid in your recovery. Stopping alcohol and cigarettes before surgery will drastically improve your ability to heal.
Pre-OP Checklist and Tips:
Prepare your home:
- Arrange for assistance from a caregiver or family member during your initial recovery period.
- Install handrails, raised toilet seats, and clear pathways to ensure post-surgery safety.
- Ensure you stock up on essential supplies, such as prescription medications, wound care products, and groceries.
- Invest in a grabber tool and slip on shoes.
You must arrange transportation to and from the hospital or surgery center. It is not permitted for you to drive yourself home.
Before your surgery, please discuss any blood-thinning medications you take with your surgical team. Some medicines can interfere with anesthesia and recovery.
Day of Surgery:
- Follow restrictions on food and drink. You'll need to stop eating and drinking for a specified period.
- To reduce infection risk, shower with antibacterial soap the night before or the morning of surgery.
- Have a bag packed if you are staying the night. Comfortable clothing, toiletries, and leave jewelry at home.
A successful spine surgery experience begins with proper preparation. Remember that every surgery and patient is unique, so follow your surgeon's instructions.
Dr. Payam Moazzaz is a board-certified orthopedic spine surgeon in California specializing in robotic-assisted minimally invasive spine surgery.